Boil water advisory lifted for parts of New Jersey
HALEDON, N.J. (PIX11) — The towns of Haledon and North Haledon are no longer under a boil water advisory as of Tuesday afternoon, according to Haledon Mayor Michael Johnson.
Johnson said the Department of Environmental Protection gave the green light to the Manchester Utilities Authority to lift the advisory, which has been in place since August 8.
It is welcome news for businesses, which have been spending money on potable water trucks and bottled water.
"We're probably close to $13,000 of money spent to stay open," said James Garruto, co-owner of Jimmy Geez Sports Bar & Grill in Haledon.
Garruto was spending $500 a day on potable water. He didn't know how long the advisory would last, so he invested in a longer-term fix.
"Last week, we actually installed a UV light system that kills all the bacteria coming into the building from the city water, and that was an investment of over $3,200," said Garruto.
Mayor Johnson said thousands of bottles of water were on hand for the start of the school year on September 4, in case the advisory remained in place.
Johnson said MUA was flushing the lines until about 10 p.m. on Monday, and all water tests came back clean on Tuesday morning.