Blizzard triggers New York City travel ban as airlines cancel thousands of flights
CHARLY TRIBALLEAU / AFP
- A significant winter storm will pummel much of the Northeast from Sunday to Monday.
- Airlines are delaying and canceling thousands of flights as a result.
- Adding to the travel chaos, Homeland Security said it would shut down TSA PreCheck and Global Entry.
The Monday morning commute won't be messy in New York City. It will be nonexistent.
New York City Mayor Zohran Mamdani declared a state of emergency and a travel ban during a press conference on Sunday as a giant winter storm bore down on much of the Northeast.
The National Weather Service said to expect blizzard conditions and up to 20 inches of snow over the next 24 hours. Parts of New Jersey, Rhode Island, and Massachusetts could get up to 25 inches.
"The state of emergency closes the streets, highways, and bridges of New York City for all traffic," Mamdami said. The travel ban begins at 9 p.m. Sunday and lasts until 12 p.m. on Monday.
US airlines, meanwhile, are canceling and delaying thousands of flights. As of Sunday afternoon, airlines had canceled over 3,000 flights and delayed over 2,900, according to the flight-tracking website FlightAware.
New York City's John F. Kennedy and LaGuardia airports have the highest number of cancellations, followed by Newark Liberty International Airport, Philadelphia International Airport, Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, and Boston Logan International Airport.
Anyone hoping to catch a flight in the region on Monday can also expect major disruptions, according to Cirium, an aviation analytics company. At LaGuardia Airport, for example, 82% of flights scheduled for Monday have been canceled.
Adding to what will likely be a chaotic 48 hours for travelers, the Department of Homeland Security announced Saturday night that it was suspending TSA PreCheck and Global Entry due to the partial government shutdown.
Despite the announcement, however, TSA Precheck and Global Entry lanes remained open at major airports on Sunday. In a statement, the Transportation Security Administration said it is evaluating the situation "case-by-case."
"At this time, TSA PreCheck remains operational with no change for the traveling public," a spokesperson said. "As staffing constraints arise, TSA will evaluate on a case-by-case basis and adjust operations accordingly."
The federal government entered a partial shutdown earlier this month, delaying funding for some agencies, like DHS. TSA agents are essential workers, so they're still working — for now. During the full government shutdown earlier this year, TSA agents and air traffic controllers went 43 days without a paycheck.