Asos co-founder’s ex-wife says ‘I had nothing to do with his death’ after fatal fall
The former wife of Asos co-founder Quentin Griffiths has said she had ‘nothing to do with his death’ after he fell from a balcony in Thailand.
The multi-millionaire, 58, reportedly plunged from an 18-floor complex in Pattaya, south of Bangkok, on February 9.
Before his death, Quentin and his ex-wife, Ploy Kringsinthanakun, 43, were caught up in court proceedings in which she accused him of stealing £500,000 worth of shares and land from her company, The Sun reported.
The retail entrepreneur’s fatal fall followed a lengthy custody battle with his former wife over their two children.
Ploy has made clear she was not involved in her ex-husband’s death.
‘I had absolutely nothing to do with his death. How could I kill him? How would I know anything about it? I live in Bangkok — I wasn’t in Pattaya,’ she told The Sun.
The Asos co-founder, a British national, was by himself with his room locked from the inside, and there was no evidence of a break-in at the time of his death, police told the BBC.
A post-mortem of Quentin’s body did not reveal any foul play.
Ploy said it had been more than four years since she last contacted her ex-husband after she discovered he ‘had another woman’, claiming he prevented her from seeing their children for five years.
She said: ‘I only learned about his death when his lawyer called both me and my lawyer to arrange a negotiation regarding the case.
‘Of course I am sad about his death, he is the father of my children, so I am worried about them and what they are going through.
‘I fought with him so much in the past, but I moved on and just wanted to be treated fairly.’
Quentin co-founded Asos in 2000 as a website to find clothes at affordable prices, but remained a significant shareholder after leaving the firm five years later.
In a statement, the company said: ‘We’re saddened to hear about the passing of Quentin, one of our original co-founders.
‘He played an important role in Asos’s earliest days, and we’re forever grateful for his contribution.
‘Our thoughts are with his family and friends.’
A Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office spokesperson said: ‘We are supporting the family of a British national who has died in Thailand and are in contact with the local authorities.’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.
For more stories like this, check our news page.