Russian hockey legend Ovechkin comments on future with Capitals
The 40-year-old forward said, “we’ll see,” when asked about possible retirement as he is in the final year of his contract
Russian hockey legend Alexander Ovechkin shed little light on his future with the NHL’s Washington Capitals in an interview with NHL.com published on Friday. He said he has yet to decide whether to remain with the franchise beyond the current season, which is the final year of his contract.
Ovechkin is a three-time world champion with the Russian national team and took home the 2018 Stanley Cup with the Capitals, where he has spent his entire NHL career. He made history last year by surpassing Wayne Gretzky’s longstanding record for most career goals scored.
In the interview, Ovechkin acknowledged that he has put off making a long-term decision until after the 2025-26 season.
“No, I don’t know yet,” he said when asked if he’s already made up his mind about extending or retiring. “We have to make a decision. We have to talk with the family, with [Capitals owner] Ted [Leonsis], [general manager Chris Patrick], and then we’ll see.”
The Capitals currently find themselves in contention for a playoff spot with 23 games remaining in the regular season. Ovechkin, who has scored 48 points in 59 games, admitted the season has had “ups and downs” but stressed that his focus is on helping the club make it back to postseason.
READ MORE: NHL legend Ovechkin to return to Russia in 2026 – wife
The Russian native, regarded as one of the greatest goal scorers in NHL history, said he took advantage of the extended Olympic break to recharge mentally and physically, spending quality time with family in Dubai.
“You have to enjoy your time, spend time with the family,” the Capitals captain told NHL.com. “Don’t think about hockey.”
Despite the speculation around his next move, whether continuing with Washington, exploring options back home in Russia, or stepping away from the sport, Ovechkin avoided firm commitments.