Prosecutor concerned about increase in firearms
The State is concerned about the proliferation of firearms on the island, a prosecutor said yesterday.
This Content Is Only For Subscribers
“Every day we are hearing ‘pax, pax’ – gunshots all over Barbados,” State Counsel Paul Prescod told the No. 4 Supreme Court, as he warned that “we have to be very careful that we do not water down firearm and ammunition offences in Barbados”.
He was speaking as the court dealt with Lamar Akiel Waithe, of Lovell Road, Massiah Street, St John, who had pleaded guilty to having a .40 Smith and Wesson semi-automatic pistol, as well as 14 rounds of ammunition in his possession, on December 10, 2024.
Waithe was represented by attorney Shadia Simpson.
Prescod, in his submissions on sentence, declared: “Every time you look, gunshots here, gunshots there. And it is really scary and somebody would want to know where the guns are coming from.
“Notwithstanding I appreciate Mr Waithe indicating and throwing himself at the mercy of the court, and we appreciate guilty pleas from persons, he had one firearm and that was one firearm too many,” the State Counsel said.
Very careful
“And as much as [defence counsel] is saying it is his first offence – and I will give him credit for that – we have to be very careful that we do not water down firearm and ammunition offences in Barbados.
“So although my friend is talking about a $15 000 fine – that is within her right because she is representing the accused man and she has to start as low as she possibly can – the State is concerned about firearms and the proliferation of firearms in Barbados,” he said.
Prescod suggested the starting sentence for the offence should be 11 years with the relevant deductions for Waithe’s early guilty pleas and time on remand.
He submitted the court should impose a fine of $25 000 for the gun and $12 000 for the ammunition.
His advice to Waithe was: “When everyone dropping it in the session and running, you run too.”
Defence counsel Simpson, in her submissions on sentence, said there was nothing to suggest there was any use of the firearm or that there was any intention to use the gun.
“This was a gun he found in a session. This young man is not beyond rehabilitation. There are prospects and hope for Mr Waithe,” she told the court.
She suggested a starting sentence of ten years, as she noted the aggravating and mitigating factors balanced each other out.
Simpson added that her client had never “darkened the doors of a court” in his 33 years.
She suggested he be fined $15 000 for having the gun and $10 000 for the ammunition.
Waithe had earlier apologised to the court and had asked for leniency.
“Give me a chance at life so I could show you I can be a better man,” he said. “You would never see me back in this court again as long as I live.”
Search warrant
Justice Laurie-Ann Smith-Bovell will sentence him on April 17.
The court had heard that police executed a search warrant at Waithe’s house, where they found a small leather purse containing the loaded firearm.
When police asked him to account for it, he said: “I find it in a session. Men run and beat off one shot and drop it. I tek it up and put it in my waist and run.” (HLE)
The post Prosecutor concerned about increase in firearms appeared first on nationnews.com.