Moises Ballesteros Visa Update: Answering the Important Questions
Rising Chicago Cubs star Moises Ballesteros still has not reported to spring training as the 22-year-old has been dealing with ongoing visa issues. Craig Counsell provided the latest update on Ballesteros and overall sounded optimistic despite the frustrating delay for the team’s young designated hitter.
Ballesteros will not be around on Friday, when the Cubs start Cactus League play against the White Sox, but according to Bruce Levine, Counsell told him the team does now expect Ballesteros to join camp on Saturday or Sunday. Furthermore, Counsell addressed a few important questions or concerns surrounding the delayed start to spring training for one of the team’s top prospects.
Counsell met the media on Thursday and on the topic of Ballesteros there doesn’t seem to be any worry on the part of the Cubs’ manager.
When Will Ballesteros Report to Camp?
Counsell said on Thursday the team is optimistic that Ballesteros will be in camp, “shorty, like soon, soon,” while Chicago baseball reporter Bruce Levine indicated that Ballesteros could be back as soon as Saturday. According to Levine, Ballesteros is now making his way through Colombia, as he’s dealt with visa issues in Venezuela.
Cubs pitchers and catchers officially reported to spring training on Feb. 11, though most of them have been in Arizona since January. If Ballesteros does return by this weekend it would still mean that he would have missed 10+ days of camp because of the visa delay.
When Will Ballesteros Play in Spring Training Games?
Although he’ll miss close to two weeks of camp Counsell said he wasn’t all too hung up on the absence so far. Counsell pointed out that as long as Ballesteros is back this weekend, then they fell he’ll be in a good place.
However, that doesn’t mean Ballesteros will be immediately put into game action in Cactus League play. There’s a good chance that Ballesteros will make his spring debut until March as he gets settled back in.
Does It Matter That Ballesteros Will Be Behind?
Not really. Counsell mentioned last year’s spring training, when both Nico Hoerner and Matt Shaw didn’t appear in many games as Hoerner was recovering from arm surgery and Shaw was coming back from an oblique injury.
Shaw only played in six games before he jumped on a plane with the rest of his teammates to travel over to Japan for the Tokyo Series against the Los Angeles Dodgers in March. Meanwhile, Hoerner was ready to go and on the Opening Day roster after getting a total of eight at-bats in spring training.
Despite his youth, Ballesteros has been able to ascend the Cubs’ minor league system because of his natural hitting ability and Counsell said flat out that this delay would not impact Ballesteros’ status on the Opening Day roster.
The Cubs project Ballesteros to be their main designated hitter in 2026, getting most of his playing time against right-handed pitching. Fans got to see a taste of what Ballesteros can offer at the plate last season, when he slashed .298/.394/.474, in 66 MLB plate appearances.
Ballesteros filled in seamlessly for Kyle Tucker in September and earned a spot on the playoff roster, but now the 22-year-old will have even more pressure to produce in 2026. Tucker is with the Dodgers and the Cubs traded away another one of their top prospects this past offseason as Owen Caissie was shipped off to the Miami Marlins in exchange for Edward Cabrera.
That left Ballesteros with a clear pathway to become the primary DH for the Cubs in 2026. Expectations are high for the Cubs and Ballesteros this year, so you bet he’s as anxious as anyone else to get back with his team and begin his preparation for the upcoming season.