Cubs core aiming to achieve 'something really special' in 2026 with possible roster overhaul looming
MESA, Ariz. — There’s some sense of deja vu this spring, as core members of this Cubs team field questions about their expiring contracts, without any sign of impending extension news.
“I've talked with some of the other guys who are on their last years,” right-hander Jameson Taillon said last week. “And I think we're all just embracing this year as, we have the chance to do something really special together, and who knows if we'll all be back next year.”
It’s not a perfect comparison to 2021, when Anthony Rizzo, Kris Bryant and Javy Báez went into the season without extensions, and were all traded in a stunning deadline teardown. But if the Cubs don’t come to extension agreements with any of their walk-year players, they’ll be facing a roster overhaul this offseason, affecting the lineup, rotation and bullpen.
Cubs president of baseball operations Jed Hoyer has pointed out the advantages of financial flexibility after this season. But with the current collective bargaining agreement expiring on Dec. 1, if the owners lock out the players — as MLB players association interim executive director Bruce Meyer said he expects — the timeline to pull off that overhaul could be tight.
“Both on a position player level and pitching level, we have a lot of free agents,” Hoyer said at the start of spring training. “It's going to be a topic of conversation, there's no question, with those free agents. I think we look at it as, players need to focus on right now, focus on this team.”
The front office, however, is looking ahead. Hoyer and his group knew this was coming. It was somewhat by design, as they kept the end of the CBA in mind while structuring multi-year deals.
Of the group, the three everyday hitters — left fielder Ian Happ, second baseman Nico Hoerner and right fielder Seiya Suzuki are the longest tenured. Happ and Suzuki said Monday that the Cubs have not initiated extension talks. Hoerner declined to comment on the subject of contract negotiations.
“There's plenty of guys that are on their last year here,” Hoerner said. “That's also an opportunity, though, because we've been fortunate to play as a group for a while. It creates excitement in that you don't get to share a locker room with guys in a consistent core a lot in the big leagues. And so to have that opportunity, to have gotten better, and to now be in a place where we can really seize that opportunity is super exciting.”
The Cubs will at least retain shortstop Dansby Swanson, whose seven-year deal runs through 2029, and third baseman Alex Bregman, who signed a five-year deal this offseason, offering veteran leadership past this season.
But the Cubs could lose three important pieces to their lineup. Suzuki provides a power threat near the top of the order. Switch-hitting Happ’s knack for getting on base makes him a steadying presence, regardless of whether he’s on a hot or cool streak. Hoerner’s contact ability and clutch performance play whether he’s leading off or hitting in the bottom half of the lineup.
Hoerner could hit the free agent market as a shortstop, a premium position that comes with higher earning potential. Happ should benefit from a thin outfield class. And Suzuki’s bat will be seen as an asset, whether teams evaluate him as a long-term outfielder or designated hitter.
Happ and Suzuki both expressed an openness to extension negotiations.
“I want to work hard and perform well,” Suzuki said through interpreter Edwin Stanberry, “and hopefully they say, yes.”
As far as extension candidates go, pitching tends to be more volatile, which will factor in as the Cubs decide whether to jump the market. This past winter, for example, they chose not to pick up left-hander Shota Imanaga’s three-year team option. A good season with an uptick in velocity could at least alter the calculation as Imanaga plays out his one-year qualifying offer.
Left-hander Matthew Boyd ($15 million mutual option for 2027) and Taillon could also hit free agency after this season.
“We do have three free-agent starters, but I think that's something that we'll continue to discuss throughout the spring and throughout the season,” Hoyer said. “But I think having that next wave take a step forward will be really helpful, and something that's a big priority.”
The Cubs, however, aren’t in position to fill all three spots with only internal options — unless they’re comfortable with their rotation taking a step back.
Catcher Carson Kelly, 31, also has a mutual option ($7.5 million) for 2027. And per usual, the Cubs’ bullpen is stacked with players on short-term contracts, necessitating the Cubs’ normal offseason restocking.
“Every player's got a situation,” manager Craig Counsell said. “And, frankly, if you're at the point where you're in a free agent year, you're doing pretty good, things have gone pretty well for you. So, it's this team. It's now.”