King Charles met with groans in first appearance since Andrew’s arrest
King Charles has arrived at London Fashion Week just hours after his brother was arrested this morning on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Wearing a dark suit, Charles stepped out of the car to a mixture of shouts, cheers and groans from members of the public crowding the streets.
In a statement earlier today, the King said ‘the law must take its course’ and said he learned of the news with ‘deepest concern’.
‘What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,’ he said.
Follow Metro’s blog for live updates from Andrew’s arrest
Sign up for all of the latest stories
Start your day informed with Metro's News Updates newsletter or get Breaking News alerts the moment it happens.
‘In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation.
‘Let me state clearly: the law must take its course.
‘As this process continues, it would not be right for me to comment further on this matter. Meanwhile, my family and I will continue in our duty and service to you all.’
It is understood that neither the King nor Buckingham Palace was informed in advance of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest.
The Prince and Princess of Wales support the King’s statement following the arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the Press Association reported.
Despite the news, the monarch conducted his three separate in-person audiences at St James’s Palace at around midday on Thursday as planned.
Dressed in a smart morning suit, Charles welcomed the Spanish ambassador Emma Aparici Vazquez de Parga, the ambassador of El Salvador Francisco Lima Mena and the Kenyan high commissioner Maurice Makoloo in the royal residence’s ornate red Throne Room.
Thames Valley Police previously said the force was reviewing allegations that a woman was trafficked to the UK by Jeffrey Epstein to have a sexual encounter with Andrew, and claims he shared sensitive information with the paedophile while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.
The news of the former duke’s arrest comes as pictures circulated online appearing to show unmarked police cars attending Wood Farm on the Sandringham Estate in Norfolk, with plain-clothed officers appearing to gather outside Andrew’s home.
Searches are being carried out at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk, the force said.
Emails released by the US Department of Justice appeared to show the former duke sharing reports of official visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam and Singapore.
One email, dated November 2010, appeared to be forwarded by Andrew five minutes after being sent by his then-special adviser Amir Patel.
Another, on Christmas Eve 2010, appeared to send Epstein a confidential brief on investment opportunities in the reconstruction of Helmand Province, Afghanistan.
Andrew has denied any wrongdoing over his Epstein links, but has not directly responded to the latest allegations.
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said: ‘Following a thorough assessment, we have now opened an investigation into this allegation of misconduct in public office.
‘It is important that we protect the integrity and objectivity of our investigation as we work with our partners to investigate this alleged offence.
‘We understand the significant public interest in this case, and we will provide updates at the appropriate time.’
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.
For more stories like this, check our news page.