Ghana and Kenya investigate presumed Russian national for secretly recording sexual encounters
ACCRA, Ghana (AP) — Ghana has launched an investigation into the activities of a man believed to be a Russian national accused of secretly recording sexual encounters with several women and summoned Russia’s ambassador to discuss the case that has sparked public outrage, the authorities said on Wednesday.
Ghana’s Minister for Communication, Digital Technology, and Innovations, Samuel Nartey George, told a news conference in Accra on Wednesday that the government had initiated steps to trace and secure relevant digital and financial evidence linked to the publication of the intimate footage.
Kenyan media reported on viral videos which allegedly showed Kenyan victims as well. Kenya’s gender minister condemned the secret filming of women by the Russian man on Monday, saying the act was a violation of the law and would be investigated in collaboration with international authorities.
The minister, Hanna Wendot Cheptumo, said the act represents technology-facilitated gender-based violence and exploitation and urged affected women to seek support through a toll-free helpline number.
The Russian national was allegedly recording and sharing the explicit content on social media platforms without their consent, the authorities of both countries said.
The alleged publication of sexually explicit images without consent was a violation of the “privacy and dignity of the victims,” Ghana’s authorities said, adding that they were committed to leveraging bilateral relations and would “explore all international tools and remedies to ensure that justice is secured.”
In a separate statement, Ghana’s Foreign Ministry said it called in Russian Ambassador Sergei Berdnikov on Tuesday to formally convey the government’s “strong displeasure” over what it described as the “atrocious conduct” of the individual, which it said “clearly violates Ghanaian law,” and to seek Russia’s cooperation in pursuing justice.
According to the statement, Berdnikov acknowledged “the violation of the privacy and dignity of the victims, and the larger cybercrime dimensions,” and expressed Russia’s willingness to cooperate with Ghanaian authorities.
However, the ambassador indicated he was unable to confirm the suspect’s Russian nationality and said the purported name circulating in the media was not a known Russian name, but rather “an inappropriate or vulgar expression in the Russian language.”
The case has triggered widespread debate on Ghanaian social media, with calls for accountability and stronger protections against digital sexual exploitation.
Authorities say psychosocial and legal support for victims is being coordinated through confidential channels, including toll-free helplines for abuse survivors.
Last week, the Gender Ministry said the non-consensual recording and circulation of intimate images constituted a criminal offense and a violation of dignity and privacy.
It said it was working with the Ghana Police Service and international partners to explore legal options, including cross-border cooperation, as preliminary information suggested the suspect may not currently be within Ghana’s jurisdiction.