Savannah Guthrie’s Family Was Cleared ‘in the First Few Days’ — So Why Didn’t the Public Know?
As the Nancy Guthrie case goes into its 17th day, Pima County Sheriff Chris Nanos released new information about the possible suspect.
The sheriff confirmed to KOLD 13 News on February 16 that all of the Guthrie family members, including Savannah Guthrie’s brother-in-law, Tommaso Cioni, had been cleared “in the first few days” after the alleged kidnapping.
“Not one single person in the family is a suspect,” Nanos explained. “So I am telling everyone, effective today, you guys [media] need to knock it off, quit. People are hurting. They are victims. I am saying they are clear. We have cleared them.”
This surprising revelation differs from former NewsNation host Ashleigh Banfield, who claimed on the February 3 episode of her Drop Dead Serious podcast that Cioni was the “prime suspect,” according to her law enforcement sources.
“They have towed Annie Guthrie’s car. And there is some connection to Annie Guthrie’s car and Nancy Guthrie’s son-in-law — that would be Annie’s husband, Tommaso Cioni, age 50 from Tucson, Arizona, married to Annie P. Guthrie, Savannah’s sister,” Banfield alleged.
With the growing interest in the case, Nanos decided that it was his duty to protect the Guthrie family’s peace.
“Because sometimes we forget we’re human and we hurt, and kindness matters. It is every cop’s duty to stand up and be that voice for our victims,” he told NBC News on February 16. “I’m not going to sit in silence when others are attacking the innocent. Isn’t that what the badge represents? I’m not going to sit in silence when others are attacking the innocent. Isn’t that what the badge represents?”
Cioni was the last person to see his 84-year-old mother-in-law alive when he dropped her off at her Tucson, Arizona home at 9:48 p.m. on January 31. The heat was on him early on, but law enforcement has doubled down on their statement about the family.
“To be clear … the Guthrie family — to include all siblings and spouses — have been cleared as possible suspects in this case. The family has been nothing but cooperative and gracious and are victims in this case,” Nanos said in a statement, shared via X, on February 16. “To suggest otherwise is not only wrong, it is cruel. The Guthrie family are victims plain and simple.”
Anyone with any information about Nancy Guthrie’s case should call 1-800-CALL-FBI or visit https://tips.fbi.gov/home.
More on Savannah Guthrie’s mother, Nancy:
- Savannah Guthrie’s Mom’s Alleged Kidnappers Issued a Terrifying Warning, Source Says
- Savannah Guthrie’s Today Future in Question as She Remains Off Air for the ‘Foreseeable Future’
- Savannah Guthrie’s Mom’s Disappearance Prompts ‘Very Skeptical’ Response From Ex-FBI Official
- FBI Releases Photo Of Potential Suspect In Savannah Guthrie’s Mom’s Disappearance