Cubs' Moises Ballesteros likely to be delayed by visa issues for another week
MESA, Ariz. – Five days into official workouts for pitchers and catchers, Cubs backstops Moisés Ballesteros and Christian Bethancourt (a non-roster invitee) were still away from the team, delayed by visa issues.
“It’s not great news,” Counsell said Sunday when asked for an update. “Looking like next weekend at the earliest.”
Bethancourt is a veteran who has shown his adaptability while playing for six different teams, including the Cubs in 2024, in his eight-year major-league career.
For 22-year-old Ballesteros, however, this was poised to be an important spring training for his development, especially on the defensive side. The Venezuelan catcher is set to miss at least a week and a half of time that would have been spent getting to know the Cubs pitching staff.
“There's not much you can do,” Counsell said Sunday, mentioning phone conversations as one of few ways the Cubs could try to help bridge the gap. “We’ve just got to play this process out.”
The Cubs had been more optimistic when spring training camp officially opened last Wednesday. And right-hander Javier Assad, who was also delayed by visa issues, missed just the first day.
“It’s out of our control a little bit,” Counsell said Friday. “We're doing everything we can on our end. He's doing everything on his end.”
Miller’s signing official
The Cubs made Shelby Miller’s signing official on Sunday. He is joining the team on a two-year contract – worth $2.5 million, a source confirmed – with a club option for 2028.
“This year is very much in question, obviously, and it would be fast for this year,” Counsell said of Miller, who underwent offseason elbow surgery. “So this is about next year primarily. But you're open to see how the rehab goes and see what happens there.”
To clear room on the 40-man roster, the Cubs designated infielder Ben Cowles for assignment.
They opted not to put left-hander Justin Steele, who is targeting May or June for his return from season-ending elbow surgery last April, on the 60-day IL to open a spot.
“He's doing really well,” general manager Carter Hawkins said last week of Steele’s rehab. “We want to make sure that we have full information for making decisions. I'm sure he's going to want to get back soon, and we want to honor that, and honor that competitiveness, and make sure that we're making good decisions on both ends.”
Building a foundation with Cabrera
The Cubs don’t want to rush things with new starting pitcher Edward Cabrera after acquiring him from the Marlins this offseason.
“I think the challenge for Eddy is just, new team, really,” Counsell said. “And so we want to make sure we get that part of this right. I mean, 10 years and one place, with a lot of the same people … for the first time, you come to a new place, it's a hard thing to do. And there's a lot of new faces, and new ideas being thrown at you. So for [pitching coach Tommy Hottovy] and I, we want to go slow here because of that.”
Cabrera threw in the pitching lab on Friday, and he tossed a bullpen session on Sunday. But the Cubs will be focusing on building a strong foundation with him over the coming weeks rather than pushing a quick ramp-up.