The opposition groups dominated by Islamists from Hayat Tahrir al-Sham have seized power in Syria last week
Washington is maintaining direct contact with the al-Qaeda-linked Islamist group that was instrumental in overthrowing the government of President Bashar Assad in Syria, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has said.
Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) led a loose coalition of armed opposition groups that captured Damascus on December 8, forcing Assad into exile in Russia. HTS was founded as a merger of several jihadist groups, including Al-Nusra Front, an offshoot of al-Qaeda in Syria. HTS chief Ahmed al-Shaara, better known as Abu Mohammad al-Julani, previously led Al-Nusra.
HTS is listed as a terrorist organization in the US, with an active $10 million bounty for the help in capturing al-Julani.
Blinken acknowledged contacts with HTS during a press conference in Aqaba, Jordan on Saturday. Asked whether the US has been in communication with the group currently holding power in Damascus, Blinken replied, “Yes, we’ve been in contact with HTS and with other parties.” He later clarified, “That’s direct contact, yes.”
Blinken reiterated that Washington hopes the new authorities will “produce an inclusive and representative government,” where “the rights of all Syrians – including minorities and women – should be respected.”
He added that all parties should prevent the resurgence of Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS) and other terrorist groups, describing the American-backed Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) as “playing a critical role in pursuing that mission.”
Al-Julani has made efforts to rebrand his group as a more moderate force, claiming that his views have evolved. During the opposition’s lightning offensive against the government army, he made promises to protect Syria’s ethnic and religious minorities, including Christians and Kurds. However, multiple disturbing videos have since emerged online of various anti-Assad groups executing POWs and civilians.
The draft is three weeks away now. GM Ryan Poles and head coach Ben Johnson have pieced together an off-season that is earning widespread praise across the league. The question is whether they can stick the landing with their 1st round pick in the draft. Current projections have the top three picks likely being a mix of Cam Ward, Travis Hunter, and Abdul Carter. After that, it gets tricky. People in Chicago want to know where running back Ashton Jeanty will end once the dust settles.
Widespread belief has been that the Las Vegas Raiders are the heavy favorites to take him at 6th overall, with New Orleans at #9 also being a possibility. It makes sense. Las Vegas’ best option right now is a 33-year-old Raheem Mostert. New Orleans knows Alvin Kamara turns 30 in July. Both teams need to think about the future at that position. Both have head coaches who like to run the ball. One thing is clear. A source told SM that those around the league believe one thing is certain.
“He likely won’t get passed Chicago if he falls that far.”
Ashton Jeanty is a strong probability for the Bears.
Whispers from Halas Hall indicate they love the Boise State star. It isn’t hard to see why. He nearly broke Barry Sanders’ single-season rushing record in 2024, nearly winning the Heisman in the process. The guy carried his team to the college football playoffs. He’s built like a brick house with power, speed, contact balance, and vision. There aren’t any truly glaring weaknesses in his game. He’s earned comparisons to the likes of LaDainian Tomlinson and Marshawn Lynch. The Bears haven’t had a back of that caliber since Matt Forte.
Try to imagine what this offense could look like with Ashton Jeanty, Rome Odunze, D.J. Moore, and Cole Kmet all as options for quarterback Caleb Williams. Throw all of it into Johnson’s offense, and you can understand why some people around the league aren’t wild about the idea. They are quietly hoping Jeanty goes somewhere else. One thing is certain. If he gets past the Raiders, the noise will get loud in a hurry. It would mark the first time in 20 years the Bears have taken a running back in the 1st round.
It's actually happening, everybody stay calm: Silksong properly confirmed for a 2025 release date at the Nintendo Direct with a whole 3 seconds of footage