MLB news roundup
Happy Wednesday, Athletics Nation!
The A’s announced their 2023 coaching staff via Twitter on Monday. Matt Kawahara at the San Francisco Chronicle also provided a rundown.
This lineup represents some significant shuffling. Most notably, Darren Bush will be the A’s new bench coach. He is replacing Brad Ausmus, who opted not to return after just one season on the job.
Only three A’s coaches will remain in their 2022 roles, but the rest were transferred from other roles within the organization except bullpen coach Mike McCarthy.
Here is the full 2023 coaching staff (years completed at the job or previous role in parenthesis):
- Mark Kotsay, manager (1)
- Darren Bush, bench coach (was A’s third base coach)
- Tommy Everidge, hitting coach (1)
- Chris Cron, asst. hitting coach (1)
- Mike McCarthy, bullpen coach (former Triple-A pitching coach for Padres, Twins)
- Mike Aldrete, first base coach (was A’s quality control coach)
- Eric Martins, third base coach (was A’s first base coach)
- Marcus Jensen, quality control coach (was A’s bullpen coach)
Let’s see if this bunch can bring the best out of a young Athletics team in 2023!
- Kawahara: A’s reshuffle 2023 coaching staff, name Darren Bush new bench coach ($)
- Ravani: Oakland’s next mayor is eager to hit the ground running. Here’s what Sheng Thao plans to do first ($)
- Franco: Mets To Promote Eric Chavez To Bench Coach, Jeremy Barnes To Hitting Coach
MLB News & Interest:
- Law: Astros deny the existence of time by signing José Abreu ($)
- McDonald: MLBPA Executive Director Tony Clark Given Five-Year Extension
- Rosenthal: What I’m hearing on the MLB Hot Stove ($)
- Franco: Latest On Nationals’ Sale Negotiations
- Franco: Miguel Cabrera: 2023 Likely To Be Final Season
- McCullough and Sammon: How MLB front office execs continue their quest for an elusive work-life balance ($)
- Today in Baseball History
Best of Twitter:
A's have signed 25 y.o. Dominican RHP Jasseel De La Cruz to a minor league deal & assigned him to AA @RockHounds. Has career 4.39 ERA in 375 minor league IP. Tyler Wade, Pablo Reyes, Kevin Cron, Trenton Brooks & Rico Garcia were signed & sent to AAA Vegas.https://t.co/joKXkyUAPy— Athletics Farm (@AthleticsFarm) November 29, 2022
Drellich on the new MLBPA executive subcommittee.
News: A new MLBPA executive subcommittee has been voted on.— Evan Drellich (@EvanDrellich) November 28, 2022
Marcus Semien and Francisco Lindor are holdovers.
Jack Flaherty, Lance McCullers Jr., Ian Happ, Austin Slater, Lucas Giolito and Brent Suter are new faces.
Exiting: Scherzer, Miller, Castro, Britton, Paxton, Cole.
The perfect bunt?
What's he thinking about? Wrong answers only pic.twitter.com/cjtkXYqmYS— Las Vegas Aviators (@AviatorsLV) November 29, 2022
Congrats to SuSlu!
I’m honored to be a part of this process, it will be an interesting weekend in San Diego! https://t.co/ioYHJUl2Qv— Susan Slusser (@susanslusser) November 28, 2022
Check out this video nasty.