DAVID BECKHAM has made a sensational move to lure Cristiano Ronaldo to Inter Miami.
And owner Beckham has now spoken to Ronaldo’s representatives and been told he is interested in a switch Stateside.
Argentina superstar Lionel Messi remains the No 1 target for Becks’ MLS outfit.
But Ronaldo’s availability has alerted the former England skipper.
READ MORE ON CRISTIANO RONALDO
Ronaldo tried to divert the attention away from his club future as he trained with the Portugal squad in Lisbon ahead of his fifth World Cup finals.
But the 37-year-old, who accused United of betraying him and said he has no respect for boss Erik ten Hag, incredibly claimed he must “stay humble” before heading to Qatar.
Ronaldo said: “We’re there to win and I believe we have the squad to do it. But then there are a number of top teams out there with world-class talent so we have to stay focused, stay humble, go out there and show what we can do.”
Ronaldo, whose World Cup begins against Ghana a week on Thursday, had an awkward-looking reception from club and country team-mate Bruno Fernandes, which sparked talk of a rift between the pair.
Most read in Football
Portugal midfielder Joao Mario claimed: “I was in the locker room at that moment.
“I saw the images, and it’s funny because sometimes it can be interpreted but it was a joke between them. Bruno was one of the last to arrive and Cristiano asked him if he had come by boat. There is no problem between them.”
If Ronaldo is released by United, both clubs in Los Angeles — LAFC and Beckham’s old club LA Galaxy — are keen, as well as Inter Miami.
But Old Trafford legend Beckham in Florida could be a major lure for the Portuguese, who is struggling to find a way out of Manchester.
And working with Miami boss Phil Neville is not believed to be a problem, despite Ronaldo blasting brother Gary in his explosive chat with Morgan.
Gonzalo Higuain’s retirement at the end of the MLS season last month means there is a gap in Neville’s squad, with Ronaldo’s wage demands likely to see him become the competition’s top earner.
Beckham remains interested in bringing Messi to the States, with the Paris Saint-Germain ace heavily linked with a move to DRV PNK Stadium.
Read More on The Sun
But ex-England skipper Beckham would jump at the chance of landing Ronaldo.
The shock move would also go down well with MLS bosses who are keen to further boost football’s profile over the pond, with a new TV deal with Apple coming into force next season.Ronaldo spoke to The Sun’s Piers Morgan[/caption]