Welcome to Insider Healthcare. I'm Zachary Tracer, and today in healthcare news:
- We examined Moderna's transformation, and what comes next;
- The head of the FDA is calling for a probe of her agency's decision to approve Aduhelm;
- Wondering if you've got COVID or the common cold? This chart might help.
We got an exclusive look inside Moderna's labs, where the biotech upstart is planning what comes after its blockbuster coronavirus vaccine
- Led by its coronavirus vaccine, Moderna has surged into the drug industry's top ranks.
- The biotech has rapidly expanded to boost production by hiring hundreds and opening new buildings.
- Insider visited Moderna's labs to learn about the biotech's plans beyond COVID-19.
The head of the FDA is calling for an investigation into her agency's controversial decision to approve a new Alzheimer's drug
- Interim FDA Commissioner Janet Woodcock has asked for an outside investigation into an Alzheimer's drug approval.
- The agency approved the drug, Aduhelm, last month, despite a lack of evidence showing the drug slowed the disease.
- Officials from Biogen and the FDA worked closely together to revive the drug, raising concerns.
COVID-19 symptoms are overlapping again with colds, flu, and seasonal allergies. Here's how to tell the difference.
- Respiratory infections may become more prevalent again now that Americans are ditching their masks.
- Some cold or flu cases could be easily confused with a mild COVID-19 infection.
- Headaches and runny noses seem to be more common among recent COVID-19 cases than past ones.
More stories we're reading:
- Pfizer is set to brief US officials on why it thinks we'll need booster shots (The Washington Post)
- Virgin Galactic flew its billionaire founder Richard Branson to the edge of space, beating Jeff Bezos (Insider)
- Gun violence is surging in Philadelphia, and there have been almost 10 shootings a day so far this month (The Philadelphia Inquirer)
- See the medical specialties that make the most, and the least (The Advisory Board/Modern Healthcare)
Read the original article on Business Insider