Add news
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010June 2010July 2010
August 2010
September 2010October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011March 2011April 2011May 2011June 2011July 2011August 2011September 2011October 2011November 2011December 2011January 2012February 2012March 2012April 2012May 2012June 2012July 2012August 2012September 2012October 2012November 2012December 2012January 2013February 2013March 2013April 2013May 2013June 2013July 2013August 2013September 2013October 2013November 2013December 2013January 2014February 2014March 2014April 2014May 2014June 2014July 2014August 2014September 2014October 2014November 2014December 2014January 2015February 2015March 2015April 2015May 2015June 2015July 2015August 2015September 2015October 2015November 2015December 2015January 2016February 2016March 2016April 2016May 2016June 2016July 2016August 2016September 2016October 2016November 2016December 2016January 2017February 2017March 2017April 2017May 2017June 2017July 2017August 2017September 2017October 2017November 2017December 2017January 2018February 2018March 2018April 2018May 2018June 2018July 2018August 2018September 2018October 2018November 2018December 2018January 2019February 2019March 2019April 2019May 2019June 2019July 2019August 2019September 2019October 2019November 2019December 2019January 2020February 2020March 2020April 2020May 2020June 2020July 2020August 2020September 2020
News Every Day |

Top HHS spokesperson Caputo to take medical leave


Michael Caputo will take a 60-day medical leave of absence from his role as the Department of Health and Human Service's top spokesperson — a decision that comes days after he accused government scientists of “sedition” and warned of coming left-wing violence in a Facebook video.

"Today, the Department of Health and Human Services is announcing that HHS Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs Michael Caputo has decided to take a leave of absence to focus on his health and the well-being of his family," the department said in a statement Wednesday.

Paul Alexander, Caputo's science adviser — who was at the center of efforts to muzzle the department's career scientists — also will be leaving HHS, the department said.

Caputo, who on Tuesday apologized to HHS staff for his remarks, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Ryan Murphy will take over as the department’s acting assistant secretary for public affairs in the meantime, a role that he had filled prior to Caputo’s arrival in mid-April.

The move caps a turbulent past week for HHS, marked by a series of revelations about Caputo’s politically motivated attempts to meddle with the activities of its public health agencies, and his unfounded allegations on Facebook that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention was harboring a “resistance unit” devoted to undermining President Donald Trump’s bid for re-election.

The departure of Caputo, a longtime Trump loyalist who has closely controlled HHS’ messaging on the pandemic response, could also further set back the administration’s efforts to promote its work toward a possible vaccine in the run-up to Election Day.

The 58-year-old Caputo had been leading a $250 million planned publicity campaign designed to “inspire hope” about the coronavirus, a massive project awarded earlier this month to Virginia-based market research firm Fors Marsh Group.

The White House initially installed Caputo atop the HHS communications office in mid-April, amid unhappiness with Secretary Alex Azar and a desire to keep closer tabs on the department during its early efforts to combat Covid-19.

But Caputo quickly gained a reputation as a combative and erratic operative, brawling often with media outlets and courting near-constant controversy.

Within days of joining HHS, he faced a wave of calls for his resignation over a series of now-deleted tweets where he made derogatory comments about Chinese people, attacked political rivals and accused Democrats of rooting for “massive deaths” and an economic meltdown as a result of the coronavirus.

More recently, Caputo and top adviser Paul Alexander had tried to interfere with the CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly reports related to the coronavirus — scientific bulletins seen as a cornerstone of the agency’s public health work, POLITICO first reported.

Alexander had also also pressured top infectious disease expert Anthony Fauci to downplay the virus’ risk to children. And at the Food and Drug Administration, Caputo clashed with career officials after appointing another ally, John “Wolf” Wagner,” to lead the agency’s communications.

In his Facebook video over the weekend, Caputo alleged without evidence that “there are scientists who work for this government who do not want America to get well, not until after Joe Biden is president.” He also warned of an armed insurrection after the election, suggested he was personally in danger and asserted that his “mental health has definitely failed.”

The video prompted people both inside and outside the administration to urge Azar and the White House to address the issue, along with criticism from high-profile Democrats. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer who called for Azar’s resignation and blamed him for losing control of the department.

In an emergency staff meeting on Tuesday, Caputo apologized for his remarks and acknowledged that they drew negative attention to the administration’s health care strategy. He blamed his behavior on physical health issues and unspecified threats against his family.

Caputo also spoke with Azar about his future later that day. But Azar during an appearance on Tuesday declined to condemn the comments made by Caputo, who has often boasted that his only focus is to defend Trump and that he’s retained the president’s full support throughout his tenure at HHS.

“Obviously some of those statements are concerning,” Azar told The Tennessean. “Michael Caputo has been a valued member of our coronavirus response but I’m not otherwise going to get into that.”



Read also

Wisconsin parents knowingly sending COVID-infected kids to school, officials say

5 bedroom Villa for sale in Benahavis – R3596771

Two-year old shoots 12-year old cousin after finding gun, police say



News, articles, comments, with a minute-by-minute update, now on Today24.pro




Today24.pro — latest news 24/7. You can add your news instantly now — here