Add news
March 2010
April 2010
May 2010June 2010July 2010
August 2010
September 2010October 2010
November 2010
December 2010
January 2011
February 2011March 2011April 2011May 2011June 2011July 2011August 2011September 2011October 2011November 2011December 2011January 2012February 2012March 2012April 2012May 2012June 2012July 2012August 2012September 2012October 2012November 2012December 2012January 2013February 2013March 2013April 2013May 2013June 2013July 2013August 2013September 2013October 2013November 2013December 2013January 2014February 2014March 2014April 2014May 2014June 2014July 2014August 2014September 2014October 2014November 2014December 2014January 2015February 2015March 2015April 2015May 2015June 2015July 2015August 2015September 2015October 2015November 2015December 2015January 2016February 2016March 2016April 2016May 2016June 2016July 2016August 2016September 2016October 2016November 2016December 2016January 2017February 2017March 2017April 2017May 2017June 2017July 2017August 2017September 2017October 2017November 2017December 2017January 2018February 2018March 2018April 2018May 2018June 2018July 2018August 2018September 2018October 2018November 2018December 2018January 2019February 2019March 2019April 2019May 2019June 2019July 2019August 2019September 2019October 2019November 2019December 2019January 2020February 2020March 2020April 2020May 2020June 2020July 2020August 2020September 2020
News Every Day |

Bon Appétit insiders reveal details of upcoming Test Kitchen comeback video after 3 months of silence

Two covers of Bon Appetit magazine are shown in this photo, in New York, Wednesday, June 10, 2020. The staff at Bon Appetit, whose top editor resigned after a revolt by the journalists there after an offensive photo of him circulated online amid longstanding issues over treatment of people of color, said in a statement Wednesday, June 10,  that "our mastheads have been far too white for far too long" and the magazine was making changes. (AP Photo/Richard Drew)
Bon Appétit is planning its Test Kitchen comeback video.
  • After a months-long hiatus, Bon Appétit's video channel will resume in October, according to employees.
  • Employees familiar with the upcoming video said it will feature the magazine's three new editorial leaders and will mostly focus on the future of Bon Appétit. 
  • Condé Nast executives are heavily involved in the comeback video's development, rather the Test Kitchen's longtime producers and directors.
  • The Test Kitchen has also inked short-term contracts with at least three chefs of color. 
  • Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.

Plans for Bon Appétit's comeback video are coming together, according to three employees at Condé Nast, the magazine's publisher. The food magazine's popular video channel has not released new content since June 5. 

While Condé Nast previously said video will come back at Bon Appétit in September, employees told Business Insider they expect the comeback video will not be released until October. The video will be shot this month.

Employees said the comeback video will likely feature three new magazine staffers: editor-in-chief Dawn Davis; executive editor Sonia Chopra; and brand adviser Marcus Samuelsson, who will guest edit the brand's upcoming holiday issue. All three identify as BIPOC.

"With our new leadership, we are excited to work together to build a new vision, new shows, and welcome both new and familiar faces to our audience," Chopra told Business Insider in a statement emailed by a Condé Nast spokesperson. "We can't wait to show you what's next."

All three editorial appointments were announced in August. In June, Bon Appétit faced widespread backlash after staffers of color revealed a toxic work environment and alleged unfair compensation. The brand's 13 regular on-camera talent pledged to not appear in upcoming videos until these issues were resolved.

Two of its top leaders resigned in June as well. Adam Rapoport, who was the editor in chief until June 8, and Matt Duckor, who led video programming for Condé Nast brands including Bon Appétit until June 10, both left the company following allegations of offensive behavior and racial discrimination.

While Bon Appétit's print magazine and website have continued publishing, the brand's beloved video channel, called the Test Kitchen, has been quiet since June 5. Seven of the 13 stars have said they will not appear in videos again, including Rick Martinez, Sohla El-Waylly, Priya Krishna, Gaby Melian, Molly Baz, Carla Lalli Music, and Amiel Stanek.

Six have not spoken out on whether they will return to the channel. Employees told Business Insider that the channel has inked short-term contracts with at least three new chefs of color to be in videos.

Former and current employees of Bon Appétit told Business Insider in June that the company pays employees of color differently than their white colleagues. 

Condé Nast has repeatedly denied this. In an internal email shared with Business Insider by a Condé Nast spokesperson, the company reviewed its pay practices and determined, according to its own analysis, compensation was fair and not based on race.

"While we found that everyone was compensated fairly for video through their full-time salaries or other means as part of project or freelance agreements, it's on us that our lack of open communication about video compensation created confusion," the email stated.

A focus on the future

Condé Nast employees said the video will focus on the future of Bon Appétit, rather than exploring the brand's troubled past few months and the years of alleged mistreatment at the workplace. A small portion of the video will feature an apology.

Some employees at Condé Nast Entertainment, which is the video production arm of the magazine publisher, expressed concerns that there would not be enough recognition of the magazine's past.

They also said they were frustrated that executives and managers across Condé Nast Entertainment were taking the lead in producing and conceptualizing the new video, rather than those already on the Food team.

The move away from including pre-existing Test Kitchen talent — both behind and in front of the camera — in the comeback video may be a worrying sign for fans who believe their beloved channel will be the same when it returns.

Those who have recently departed the company said they don't think the Test Kitchen will look the same as followers remember it.

Sohla El-Waylly, a contributing editor at Bon Appétit who was previously a Test Kitchen host, previously told Business Insider that she believes the channel will transition from featuring regular editorial staffers to primarily featuring famous people and celebrity chefs. "I don't think they're going to invest in regular people ever again," El-Waylly said.

Read the original article on Business Insider


Read also

Today’s horse racing tips: Templegate’s NAP and best bets for Bath, Hamilton, Newcastle and Newton Abbot

LeBron James: 10th NBA Finals ‘don’t mean s—t’ unless I win

Diana Chen Foundation donates 5 trucks to security agencies



News, articles, comments, with a minute-by-minute update, now on Today24.pro




Today24.pro — latest news 24/7. You can add your news instantly now — here